Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Paperwork and Medical Appointment

Today was a big paperwork day and Kaitlyn's medical appointment. The paperwork took about 1 1/2 hours to complete, but we are finally done with all that!! Yeah! Next was the medical appointment where she had a physical, ears & eyes checked, got weighed, etc. She was being very difficult. This has been pretty typical for the past few days. We feel like we can't disciple her too much here, but we had to do something. Can we just say, "presure points". Please pray for us with this matter. It has been extremely challenging having a 10 year old act like she's going through the "terrible two's". I know this is only a phase, and we'll get through it. "We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us." As I sat here praying about this, it came to me that maybe she is being so naughty to test us to see if we will still love her and accept her no matter what she does to us. Hmmmm, I wonder?

After the medical appointment, we went to a "Wal Mart" type of store and stocked up on bottled water, soda, some oreo cookies, pringles and some snacks Kaitlyn picked out... I have no idea what they are, but it is some kind of a cracker with what looks like carmel filling that comes in a purple bag (Audrey - it's in Chinese, so I don't know how else to explain this. Tim says a red super hot sause would make her day!). Then, Tim and I finally had some coffee at Starbucks! It was fabulous!

Later, we had an incredible dinner at a Japanese resturant in our hotel. We went with another family and sat around a u-shaped table with the chef cooking in the center. We ordered sushi, prawns, salmon, and the biggest king shrimp we've ever seen (longer than Tim's hand!) It was phenomenal!! Tim even got to eat the heads! That was a first! Kaitlyn had her spicy noodle soup and sucked it down no problem! We were given the "red carpet" treatment! There was 3 chefs and 3 servers just for us! One chef seemed to really like serving Kailey and devoted most of her time making sure she constantly had everything she needed! Kailey thought this was pretty cool!

5 comments:

drea said...

Well, you are in the home stretch. It won't be long. You are right about the testing thing. Don't lose heart, it will get better. Are you planning on going on the dinner cruise? We had a lot of fun doing that and it is not expensive.
I love the food, sounds wonderful. There is a Cantonese Restaurant on the Island that is awesome too! Our paper work lady said Cantonese say: We eat anything on land with legs except a table, We eat every thing in the air, except an airplane, and everything under the sea except a submarine. But other than that the food is great.
Blessings to you today sweet friends.
Love you.

Erik and Lorraine said...

Uh...I think I would just stick with Starbucks and maybe Kaitlyn's dessert.

Miss you guys and praying!
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya and family,
I just got a chance to read your blogs from China. What an adventure and Kaitlin seems to really enjoy her new family. I have had you in my prayers during your trip and I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. I think what you are doing is incredible and awesome and I know that God will give you strength to get through the difficult times. I can't wait to hear your continuing story.

Kat
P.S. I saw you with your knee brace at the Great Wall- good idea!

Sharon said...

Tim and Tanya,
What a sweet girl! It has been so great to watch your journey, especially since we were in Lanzhou last April to get our son.
My husband was adopted when he was almost 9 and remembers VERY well those feelings. What he has told friends is..."You are SO happy to have a family, but so scared you will do something that will cause them to stop loving you and leave you". I am sure some of her behavior is testing you and I know you will love her through it all. Know you are in our prayers. Things do seem to even out a little once you get home and the traveling ends and things begin to be familiar. Thanks for bringing this precious girl home!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys!
I am glad you are enjoying the food - you know I would never be eating ANY of it! We are thrilled that you are having such neat experiences! Our group did not have the opportunity to stay on the island - just visited. Enjoy every minute.

Now. About your girl challenging you. Listen to me. I saw the picture of your medical visit and flashedback to one of my lowest points on the trip. Kourtny was unbearable. Screaming. Out of control. Unmanagable. I prayed and she screamed. I sang softly and she tried to escape each station. I held her and she made it look like I was torturing her. Our whole group loaded onto the bus and we were held back for the doctors to talk privately for a very long time with our guides as tears streamed down my face. I wasn't sure that they were going to let me keep her!! I kept calling on the Name of Jesus to rescue us!

Do you remember me blogging and telling of our tough days?? Do you really remember?? Think back.

We got home and found a strategy that worked. She needed that plan. We needed that plan. And you know what? She kept testing. She needed to do that. It was a devleopmental stage that she had to go through with US. It was part of the bonding that we prayed desperately for. It was a necessary, short season of coming together as a forever family.
We kept following through and loving on her like she had never been loved on before. We prayed and God moved miraculously. And it didn't take long at all.

Listen to Drea. You are in the home stretch.

Breathe in the peace of the Holy Spirit.

The Lord is sustaining and strengthening you. May He grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation, and may faith saturate your thoughts even now.

Love you,
Col