Sunday, September 21, 2008

Leaving Lanzhou City, Gansu

We woke up early, got ready, and had breakfast in the hotel. Our guide came to pick us up and drove us an hour away to see where Kaitlyn was abandoned. It's a small part of town next to a huge oil refinery. It seems like a very, very poor community. I didn't get emotional about it until I sat here to write this journal entry. It's heartbreaking to think she was just left in a box or bag on the street in front of a store when she was only a few days old. I'm so thankful she was found rather quickly. Our guide made many stops to talk to the locals to try and find the man that discovered her... but with no luck. He has been great and really bent over backwards for us this morning!

Interesting facts we've learned: Men can beat women without getting arrested, there is no drinking age in China (beer is sold in vending machines like coke), marijuana is legal and grows in public, the average income in Lanzhou is about $350/month, the death penality is immediate (no waiting around in jail for years), Military people cannot have any religious beliefs or they get discharged, kids go to school in the morning - come home to eat a hot lunch - take a nap, and go back to school until about 4pm. Kaitlyn has some BIG adjustments with school once she gets home!! The tooth fairy doesn't come in China. Instead, if the tooth came from the top row, you throw it on the roof. If it came from the bottom row, you throw it in the ditch! Weird, huh??


We're packing getting ready to drive an hour to the airport and fly to Guangzhou at 2:00 pm. Kaitlyn has never been on a plane before and she is EXTREMELY excited! She sees us packing and jumps right in hastily putting things in suitcases, backpacks and dragging them to the door!

15 hours later... now we are here in Guangzhou! Yeah!!!!!!! Civilization!! Praise God!! Our hotel is absolutely beautiful! Wow! I heard there is a Starbucks around here somewhere and I cannot wait for a good cup of coffee!!! I have been drinking Lanzhou coffee and it just isn't the same. The flight was good. Kaitlyn did really well for her first flight. We thought she would scream, but she did pretty good. Her ears hurt both times we decended and we gave her more gum to chew. I think we'll give her a little benadryl (sp?) for the long flight home! LOL!! We had a lay over in some other providence between Gansu and Guangzhou (I have no idea!) - hense, the late post... Sorry Drea!! It is currently 11:45 pm and everyone just settled into bed. Tomorrow is paperwork day!

Oh, Savannah - yes, we kept the tooth! Nicole, you're too sweet to have got Kaitlyn a gift! Don't worry, I didn't tell her! Yes, they gave her something on a cotton ball to numb her gums... thank goodness!! Tiffany, I miss you guys tons too!!!! Colleen - love getting your posts!! Denise - I miss you and it was good to hear from you!!! Mom and Dad, I know you probably cannot post comments, but you can email me - the internet is WAY FASTER here!! Everyone - I treasure your comments and I cannot tell you how much they mean to us! It is like waking up Christmas morning everyday to read them!! Bye for now, I'm off to sleep in a king size, much softer bed :) Love you all!!

8 comments:

drea said...

Good ol Guangzhou. It was our favorite place. I felt like I could stay there forever. Wait till you meet the locals and have Starbuck. The shoping is great, and it like reliefe from a long trip. Our time flew by so fast on the Island, we loved it there. I am glad you posted today, I would not be able to stand it!!
Seems like things are getting into a smoother groove, true?
I am so blessed to be on this journey with you. My soul just sings for Kaitlyn and the rest of the Christians. God is so good, and faithful.
I pray you have a peaceful time on the Island, and get to know some of the sweet locals there.
Blessings to you friends.
xoxox
Psalm 147

Anonymous said...

Ok. This must be my tenth attempt at looking for an update! Finally! I am thrilled that the trip was good. I support the Benadryl concept fully!!

The little town near the oil refinery? You will hold that in your spirit forever.

Even today, there are moments when I choke up thinking of how our tiny treasure's life began. Then I am humbled that the Lord loves us so much to give us a glimmer of His heart toward us... We sense it when we look at our adopted daughter with a love that He has placed within each of us that is so powerful.

And then my heart literally overflows with gratitude for a Heavenly Father who loves each of us too much to leave us orphaned... Thank You, Lord.

Now...the tossing of teeth? Don't really know what to say about that. Would that really be something to look forward to? Hmm.

How did ya'll manage to get softer beds?? I'm struggling with a bit of jealously over here!! Just kidding... I am THRILLED for you! Beyond thrilled, in fact!!

Do you realize that you are less than a week from coming home?? Your OWN home, refrig, tv shows that you can actually follow, beds, shops, and church? You will praise God for the gift of doing laundry in your own utility room! Yes, you WILL!

Believe me, you will praise Him for the gifts of Target and Fry's!! You will thank Him for produce that you can actually eat!!

And ALL the rest of your clothes are in your drawers and closets!!
Whoo-hoo! You are almost there!!

I can remember like it was yesterday getting off the plane in California and everywhere I looked were words in English that I could read! And reading English menus in the airport with foods that I knew!!

Kaitlyn has NO IDEA all that is on the other side of this week! Can you just imagine introducing her to all the love that awaits her? Family... friends... school... Going to church... coming HOME to where folks who have prayed and are still praying at this very moment will see what the Lord has done. Yep, Miss Kaitlyn is gonna be a bit overwhelmed.

K and A, I know that you guys will be the proudest, most protective brother and sister that there ever was!!!

I remember the paperwork time. It will be a breeze -guaranteed.

You are almost home.
Much love,
Col

Erik and Lorraine said...

So happy to read your post! Wasn't sure if you were going to make us wait forever to get this post since I know it is so late there. But you came through for us! We thank you for that. :) Enjoy a Starbucks for me.....hey, I might have to get one myself today and think of you as I sip it!
You are on your final stretch!

Praying for all and miss you!
Lorraine

Christie Darago said...

Tanya,

I just love checking these updates and getting to see how your trip is progressing. I'm sure you are, but soak in every minute of your time there. When I think back about our time in Korea, there were so many things that I wish I had paid a little more attention to. Sydney has been looking at this with me and she can't wait to meet her new friend!

Much love,

Christie

Anonymous said...

Great photos....SO cute! Can't wait until you get home.

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Keely

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs.Christains,
I think it was a good idea for Nicole to get her a present. It would be so cool if for homework we could all make a card for Kaitlen. Did Kaitlens tooth come from the top or the bottom? Did you throw it or a roof or in a ditch? I can not wait for you to get back.
oxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxooxoxo Savannah

Anonymous said...

I,m following your trip , and counting the days til we all see each other in Portland. Chris, and I and all four Kids are coming our spouces can,t get out of work bummer! Mom and Dad want to be there ,but are sad to say are not up for trip due to bad health at this point. Maybe we can call them when we meet? Chris and I are driving on Saturday so we will already be there I,ll have a fully charged cell with, we,ll stay close to airport. PS can you pick up a key chain our Family collects them from all over the world and this one would be from the coolest place ever! I would like to bring the kids something help me out w/info? sizes and such!!!

Anonymous said...

Is your cell going to still work when you arrive I want to make sure we can communicate Sunday! I,m probably going to very emotoinal! I can,t wait! Tell me some favorite things to bring like snacks, colors toys cloths sizes?????? Do we have any idea where to meet ,to do besides eat together.....? What do you guys have in mind? I could research ?