Sunday, September 14, 2008

Day 2 The Great Wall

It is so good to read everyone's comments! The first thing we do in the morning is sign on to see what comments we have from you!! Austin was totally fine and felt much better by morning. Thanks for your prayers. Also, I know some of you are very curious about the toilets... they flush just like our toilets and you have to straddle them and squat like you're sitting in the air. We haven't had to use these yet, most bathrooms have also had "western" toilets in them as well.

Today we started our day by going to church that was both in Mandarin and English. The worship was absolutely beautiful! We sang in both Mandarin and English many familar worship songs. We sat there and just prayed for Kaitlyn's heart as she is getting ready for the biggest change in her life! We're almost there!

Next was the Jade Factory and lunch. We bought a carved, jade "family happiness ball" and some small pieces of jewerly for Kaitlyn. My dad would love this place! I wish I had a lot more money to buy everyone something! Lunch was very good and we got to eat "moon cakes" for dessert. Today is the moon festival here in China. It is the celebration of the full moon.

Then we went to the Great Wall of China. This was everything we imagined and more. The pictures don't do it justice! Absolutely breath-taking! I'm still pinching myself at the fact we were actually there today! Talk about a workout! That beats the gym by a long shot! Special note to my students: For extra credit in social studies, write me a 1 page paper about the Great Wall. Tell me at least 5 facts about it! This will be worth 25 points. You may also write one on the Forbidden City!

Our duck dinner ended the evening. I think our family tried just about everything on the table! There were several dishes that just kept coming and coming! It was absolutely delicious! I included pictures in the slideshow, but I seem to be having technical difficulties with photobucket tonight. Internet is VERY slow and I've been waiting over two hours for it to upload onto my blog. Hopefully it will be there soon!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm brought to tears each time I read your post cause I'm just so excited for you guys...and you don't even have Kaitlyn yet. It really is hard to believe you are finally there! Love the pics.

We're praying for you!
Lorraine
PS..are you getting your yahoo emails?

Anonymous said...

Oh you guys! I cannot wait until tomorrow's blog - We will be heading to church in just a bit and you know that we are joined with you in prayer for sweet Kaitlyn and for the four of you... I am so thankful that you are all there TOGETHER! When you are on that tour bus on the way to meet her, know that all of us who love you are holding ya'll so tightly. We are with you. Feel our love and support... and our over-the-top excitement and anticipation. It has been a long, challenging journey.
The Lord bless you and keep you.
Love,
Coleen aned the Nolans

The McIntyre Family said...

Awesome pictures

The McIntyre Family said...

Awesome pictures. It is very surreal to see you there. We're glad Austin is feeling better. We all gather around the computer each day to read your blog and see the pictures. Thank you for sharing your incredible journey with us. We will continue to pray for all of you and Kaitlyn.
God Bless,
Julie, Glenn, Alyssa and Sean

Anonymous said...

We are SO excited for you -- and can't wait until you get to meet Kaitlyn!!!!!! The pics are beautiful -- have fun and don't worry about a thing! We still think we should have come with you, though!!!!! So much more fun that being here!

"The Barbs"

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you guys are having a great time! Everything is going well in your 3rd grade class and we check your blog daily for updates! The kids absolutely love looking at the pics and hearing about your adventures! We are all so excited that Kaitlyn gets to join such a wonderful family!
Susan Barter & Matthew :)

Anonymous said...

Hi
The pics are great and it looks like you're having a great time. The dogs really miss you but every thing is ok. Our prayers are with you all.
Mom and Dad

Sharon said...

Just read through your blog and can't wait to watch you meet Kaitlyn. My husband was adopted at almost 9 so we have a special place in our hearts for those "older kids". We will be praying for your language barrier and that kaitlyn will be filled with peace and joy as she meets her family!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Christians Family! We are so excited for you all and love the fact that we can be on your journey with you through the blog. We think of you often and pray for you and Kaitlyn as Tuesday approaches. I know you will be flooded with emotion as you meet your daughter. Can't wait to read more!

Max, Emily, Ashlyn & Alisha Merritt

Anonymous said...

OK, we're all in tears when we read about your incredible adventure! Can't wait to see how the first meeting with Kaitlyn goes!! We are praying for you all. Everyone at church keeps asking about you!! Have fun!!

The Tippery's

Keely said...

Mrs. Christians,

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures (and noticed that I have some "extra credit" work to do.

I will be thinking about you and your family while you are meeting Kaitlyn for the first time. She is one lucky little girl!!! I can't wait for you to get back to the US so that our class can meet Kaitlyn Christians :)

I miss you - xoxo,
Keely

Keely said...

Mrs. Christians,

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures (and noticed that I have some "extra credit" work to do.

I will be thinking about you and your family while you are meeting Kaitlyn for the first time. She is one lucky little girl!!! I can't wait for you to get back to the US so that our class can meet Kaitlyn Christians :)

I miss you - xoxo,
Keely