Saturday, December 27, 2008

Trials and Tribulation

Well, it's been awhile since we've posted anything. I've thought about writing several times, and then decided to wait another week or so. To be very honest, things have been kind of tough. I keep thinking it will get better and I'll have encouraging things to say on our blog. Adopting an older child has proven to be very challenging on the entire family. Kaitlyn has been consumed with jealousy of Kailey for the past two months. She has taken it out on her physically, emotionally and verbally. It's been especially hard on Kailey and myself. Kaitlyn doesn't want me to love Kailey and she makes that very clear most everyday. She gets very agitated when Kailey and I talk to each other, sit, stand or walk next to each other. She wedges herself between us and gives Kailey the evil eye. She yells at Kailey, tries to hurt her and cries. She understands English pretty well now and we tell her over and over again that we love Kaitlyn, Austin and Kailey. She doesn't want to hear this, or understand it. Kaitlyn is also very physcial with me and doesn't have appropriate boundaries. She's extremely insecure-I can't leave the room without her following me, she has to have me in her sight at all times, and/or be physically stroking me in some way. She's paranoid of me going anywhere. She askes, "Ma Ma go driving? Ma Ma stay home?" multiple times a day. Tim has been trying to bond more with her, and takes her on errands to give me a break. The counselor in Mesa turned out to be a total whack! He told me to tell Kaitlyn, "Oh, I like the way you are massaging my back", as she is violently kicking my chair, screaming and crying because Kailey is sitting in the front seat of the car and she isn't. Needless to say, we never went back to him. Our agency found a Christian, Chinese, Mandarin-speaking female counselor that we've starting going to. Thank you Jesus! Her name is Frieda. She's been great, but says it's going to be slow going and we're in for a tough challenge. We knew that the second day we had her in China!!! However, we made a lot of excuses for her behavior in China and thought things would get better once we got settled back home. We were wrong. I'm sorry if this is brutely honest and offends or worries some that are reading this... especially those that might be waiting for a referral. I don't want to be discouraging or scare anyone off from adopting. That's why I haven't written anything in weeks. In our experience, we've learned adoption isn't always a bed of roses. It's actually the hardest thing our family has ever gone through. We're trying to see God's plan in all this. Your prayers for our family would be greatly appreciated!!!
'

10 comments:

Nicole said...

I just wanted you all to know we will be praying for you! I knew things were tough in China, and I knew you were struggling some too at home, just reading between the lines, mostly what you weren't saying! I am sorry it's been so tough on you, but your honesty is appreciated. No one expects you to not be honest and tell how things are or aren't going. I for one appreciate you taking the time to be honest, please keep us posted, it helps to know how to pray for you all if nothing else! If you ever need to just vent/talk please let me know! One thing that comes to mind right now, is that,
"love NEVER fails" I Cor 13:8. While I am sure that seems like it couldn't so, it's truth, and your love will not fail, keep up the good work.

Judi said...

Sending prayers your way. As a waiting AWAA family, I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share it. I pray that things will begin to improve and Kaitlyn will adjust to your family life and know how much she is loved.

Anonymous said...

Tanya - My heart goes out to all of you. I continue to pray for each of you as your family adjusts to being just that - a family. I don't think any of us could have imagined just how different the dynamics of your family would be with Kaitlyn's arrival. I thank you for your honesty. That's something I've always appreciated about you - even if you're hesitant in sharing, you still, in love, share the truth of a situation and what you see going on. That's a difficult thing to do at times, but I really respect you for doing it. You and Tim are doing an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there it will get better. We had 6 rough monhs with an older child but you would never believe it now. Now she is a brilliant, well adjusted Christian teenager!
Chinamom

The Brosius Family said...

I think and pray about you and your family all the time! I am glad to read your update! I think the Lord is using you in a mighty way for this child! Its hard but oooh the rewards will be sweet for your faithfulness and truthfulness! The Lord promises that!

Anonymous said...

Tanya praying for you and your family in Arizona today. It will get better. God is good.

Wife of the Pres. said...

Praying for you Tanya and the whole family. Thank you for your honesty. I wish I could give you a big hug! Have you ever gone over to Sharla's blog? She is on my blog sidebar. I know she could be a real encourager to you and she adopted a 6-year-old little girl. Sharla shares honestly about some of their struggles. If you wanted her email, she has told me to share it with anyone adopting older. I'd be happy to send it to you. you can email me at my blog if you want it. Send me your email if you do and I'll not publish. Again, just love, hugs and prayers to you!

Carla Lewter said...

I am adding you guys to my prayer list. Sorry the transition has been so difficult, but time does heal. Easier said than done. Praying for you!!

Fellow AWAAer,
Carla

Kimberly said...

Tanya,

I read this post a couple of weeks ago, shared it with Mark, and we spent time in prayer for you that night and several times since then. However, I forgot to come back and comment until now (mommy -brain strikes again)! The Lord will uphold all of you as you continue to trod through this time of transition and many adjustments. Hoping that there have been some positive breakthroughs since you last posted!

Our family: said...

You are such a special family. We will keep you in prayer.

God will give you all the strength you need.

We also are an AW family and we love following your story. (Your family stood out to us right away because my parents live in Surprise as well.)