Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tribute To Nanny 1910-2009

My grandmother (Nanny) went home to be with Jesus Friday, February 6, 2009 in Seattle. We knew this day would come, but it didn't make it any easier when that call came in. Nanny suffered a massive heart attack on January 5th. The doctors said she probably wouldn't make it through the night. Well, she actually made it through 30 more nights with only 10% of her heart working! She's a strong women, and as she would say, "I come from good stalk!"

Words can't begin to describe what a wonderful person she was. She was a godly women, strong in her faith, and she always put other people's needs before her own. When I would visit her, I never left empty handed - she ALWAYS found something to give me. She was a giver and it gave her great pleasure to send ya out the door with this or that... and a few cookies! Nanny loved to tell stories of her days in Alaska. We would sit and drink tea and I'd just listen to her talk. The last time I saw her, I video tapped her telling a story of catching a salmon with her bare hands! Like I said, she was incredible. Nanny was married to my grandpa (PoPo) for 63 years. You sure don't hear that now-a-days! She stood by her man through thick and thin and set an example for her legacy to follow. I am truly honored to be her granddaughter and I will miss her something terrible. However, I'm comforted in the fact she knew Jesus Christ as her personal Lord and Savior and I WILL see her again one day. Bye Nanny.... I love you so much!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Tanya,

What a beautiful tribute!! Your Nanny sounds like such a gracious, loving lady. I know your heart is hurting right now, and I am praying for comfort for you and the family as you grieve the loss of your Nanny.

Jodi Boling said...

You have done a wonderful job honoring your Nanny. I lost my grandma this last year too, and while it is not easy on those of us left behind, it was definitely time for her to move on. Our memories of our loved ones are what keep them alive in our hearts and our minds. What a great way to share some of those memories.