Sunday, October 12, 2008

Week Two At Home

This has been an even better week! We all feel back to normal with our days & nights - with the exception of Tanya still not falling asleep at night real well. Too much on the mind I suppose! The week started with confirming Kaitlyn's dentist appointment only to discover we have a new dentist at the office that speaks Mandarin! What an answer to prayer that was! She still didn't like getting her teeth cleaned and would not cooperate to get X-Rays or floss, but the dentist said he thought she did well for her first visit and surprisingly she didn't have any cavities they could see! The next day, we went to the doctor for a full physical. I spent about an hour with the doctor talking about Kaitlyn and then she gave her check up. Kaitlyn didn't like her pressing on her stomach feeling her organs and became a complete wiggle box. I shared our concern about Kaitlyn's gait when she walks. Dr. Hoff had her walk the halls and observed her. She agreed, and referred her to a pediatric orthopedic. We have that appointment in December. Other than that, her body checked out great, and her blood and urine tests came back fabulous!!

Thursday, she and Kailey started school (Austin went back the week before). Oh, boy were we ever excited!! She had an awesome day too! She is registered in 4th grade, but goes to a English Language Development class with K-3 for about four hours, does math with 2nd grade and has lunch and recess with her peers in 4th grade. This is how we will work things until she gets caught up and her English develops. She didn't get much attention, stimulation or an education until the last two years when she went to a foster home.... breaks my heart.

Friday, we went to school and met with the Principal to discuss her schedule. Kaitlyn called my name and showed me her arm where she had her TB test done. It was red and really swollen. Therefore, we had to leave school and go back to the doctor where she ordered a chest X-Ray Stat. Kaitlyn didn't like that too much either.... I'm beginning to notice a pattern with her. Any doctor, dentist, etc. she doesn't like too well. Anyhow, her chest X-Ray came back clean (thank goodness!) and we went back to another successful day at school!

That night, we had some family over to play Rock Band on the Xbox. Tim, Austin and Kailey disappeared for awhile and came running out to the living room dressed like metal rock stars! It freaked my nephew, Carter, out and startled Kaitlyn for a minute until she realized who they were. Then she jumped right into singing and dancing all over the place!

Saturday, was a strange afternoon. I had to put Kaitlyn in time-out in her room for pulling Milo's (our tan dog) legs and dropping him in almost a "throwing" motion. She has been talked to many times about being gentle with the dogs. I was very firm speaking to her about this on the translator. I went back in her room and talked to her some more after about 10 minutes. She seemed remorseful and understood completely. We came back out to join the family and then I left to take Shelby (our white dog) to the groomer. When I returned a few minutes later, she seemed sad. I went in her room to get her sweater and knelt down to hug her and told her I loved her. She burst into tears. That really took me back - she never cries. It wasn't like her at all. I just kept holding her telling her over and over again I loved her. We put on our shoes together and her cousin brought me the translator and I told her, "Ma Ma loves you very much!" She burst into tears again so I just sat on her bedroom floor craddling her and repeatedly told her I loved her and everything is okay. We both got it together emotionally and came out to join the family to get some dinner. We haven't seen this side of Kaitlyn before - I know the emotion was a good release for her, but it was really hard on Ma Ma to see her so upset.

She's super happy and extremely helpful today. She disappeared for awhile and made everyone's bed, folded the clothes out of the drier, rinsed and stacked all the dishes in the sink and cleaned Kailey's room!! She likes to clean and we think this really makes her feel part of the family to help out. Austin & Kailey are liking this WAY too much!!! Enjoy the pics and video below!

3 comments:

drea said...

Tanya, that is so sad. I know what that feels like, I have experienced that with C~5, more than once. They are so happy to be with a family, yet so sad to be away from what they knew as normal.

I will continue to pray for Kaitlyn and her transition. I am happy to hear the other stories.

Is that a for real tatoo on Tims arm?? It looks cool.

Love you lots girl, I still want to get together with you soon.

Kimberly said...

Tanya,

I'm catching up on everyone tonight-- my days with Anna Kathryn go by so quickly. Glad to hear of all the victories in Kaitlyn's continued transition. I think it gets a little easier each day as we all continue to adjust to each other and know each other better-- at least it has been that way for us and AK. I love seeing all of the family photos, too. Mark, AK and I miss you all!

Sheri - the patient one said...

Tanya

Fellow Arizonian's - Chandler to be exact. We are nearing the end of our paper chase. It is wonderful to see how well you have all adjusted in just 2 weeks. I love to read about Kaitlyns new experiences and all your special moments. Thank you

Sheri
theshaniaproject.blogspot.com